A Tradition of Advocacy and Success.
Asbestos Property Damage Litigation
Speights & Runyan has been a leader in asbestos property damage litigation since the early 1980′s. We served as lead counsel in the first asbestos building case tried in America, City of Greenville v. W.R. Grace and Co., which resulted in a settlement of almost twice the actual damages shortly before the case was submitted to the jury, and produced two written decisions which have been the hallmark of asbestos property damage litigation.
Since then, Speights & Runyan has significantly participated in and affected the course of asbestos property damage litigation in America.
Some of our accomplishments in this area of law include:
- Served as lead trial counsel in the first successful trial on behalf of a school district, public building owner, hospital, commercial building owner and an airport.
- Served as lead trial counsel and obtained the three largest final verdicts in asbestos building cases tried in America.
- Served as lead trial counsel and obtained the most successful verdicts in America against W.R. Grace, U.S. Mineral and National Gypsum and have obtained more verdicts against U.S. Gypsum than any other firm.
- Served as lead trial counsel on behalf of all building owners in America in the Johns-Manville Bankruptcy proceeding.
- Won 19 of 20 cases that we have tried to verdict.
- Negotiated settlements or obtained verdicts during the past 11 years on behalf of our clients in excess of over $144,000,000 dollars.
- Successfully tried to verdict five cases in five states between 1991 and 1997.
- Received a verdict for $3,800,000 dollars against U.S. Mineral on behalf of an insurance company.
- Obtained the largest final verdict in America against W.R. Grace – $17,800,000 dollars – on behalf of a commercial building owner in Clayton, Missouri.
- Obtained a verdict against Keene for an airport that was the second largest verdict in America – $14,250,000 dollars, including the largest punitive damage award of $6,250,000 dollars.
- Obtained a verdict against W.R. Grace for $5,500,000 dollars on behalf of two Wisconsin shopping malls.
- Obtained a verdict against W.R. Grace for $3,800,000 dollars on behalf of a health insurance company.
- The only law firm to represent property damage claimants in the three major bankruptcies relating to asbestos (Manville, National Gypsum and Celotex).
- Served on the executive committees of two nationally certified asbestos class actions, one representing all 37,000 school districts in America and the other involving all lessees from the federal government, which totals 42,000 buildings.
- Presently serving as co-lead counsel in a certified class action involving all colleges and universities in America.
- Presently serving as lead counsel in a class action for all South Carolina building owners.
- Presently serving as lead counsel in a certified class action involving home/apartment owners in Puerto Rico.